Wednesday, February 21, 2007

+ Hobby

My brother Keith came over last night to chat, hadn't seen him in a while. He's got a new hobby after recently purchasing a used Honda motorcycle. One thing led to another and I said I have recreational interests, but no real hobbies. Maybe photography but I don't print or publish or sell anything. I have always talked about wanting to design and make furniture—contemporary, unique, modern, sophisticated, whimsical. He is a carpenter and builds custom houses. He said he has a lot of wood and scraps and tools in a large work area at his house that he just doesn't put to good use, so a light bulb went off and I have been seriously considering taking up furniture making as a hobby.

Of course, with no formal shop and tools training, I would have to start small with things like small tables, birdhouses, small knicknack drawers, things like that to get me going. Maybe, in order to get my other hobby, photography, going, I can make some cool frames for my photos out of wood and metal.

Right now, I'm researching a lot of sites that have the kind of furniture I really like. Here's a great furniture designer, out of Vancouver, BC. There is a lot of whimsy yet all are sophisticated and clean.

Stay tuned, I hope to post some of my ideas and document my progress.

No comments: