Thursday, February 12, 2009

- Screetch

Just as the last post talked about the new dynamic of our family changing by adding just one tiny child, with perpetual attention to the newborn baby, with equal parts attention to the older child, oh, then time to change Ross's diaper, conversations with Kari, playing Fish with Weston, watching CNN, making meals, phone ringing, friends over, talk about my work, Kari's day with Ross, Weston's day at preschool.... and this week...screetch!

This week, my wife, and both boys flew off to Scottsdale to be with their parents/ grandparents and the contrast in quiet is deafening. The TV has been off. No radio. Getting some reading done. Checking some Facebook. Working late. No activity. Kind of nice to sleep through the night without a diaper to change, but I really miss that. Waking up to see my baby every 3-4 hours has become a joyful habit. Playing cards with Weston has been enjoyable, seeing him get better and better, and wondering what other games he's ready for. Reading is what he's ready for!

But the days are flying by and I will be seeing them again in just a few more days. Kari sent me some pictures of Ross in a great smile, rare that it happened long enough for someone to grab a camera, ready it, steady it, and take the picture (2 actually) and still see the smile. Awesome. Those pictures just made my day and I'm still staring at them.

All in all, it's quiet and all that, but all things being equal, I'd rather have the noise and chaos of a bustling, active family around. Soon enough, and looking forward to it. I miss my family.

No comments: