Wednesday, July 22, 2009

+ Of Cellphones, blogs and Facebook

This is an experiment to show the effectiveness of discussions via blogs vs. lots of emails and threads: My brother Charles has wanted to start a blog for what seems years now. He sent several family members an email regarding an article about driving 'hands free'. He also asks about Facebook and why that is so important. But first, the cell phone driving. I choose to answer using my blog so everyone (if they choose) can chime in here, rather than an email string.

I think the topic is compelling enough to discuss. I will be very honest and frank in my response and hope others will be as well.

First of all, thanks for the article. I, for one, will admit that although I never drive without my Bluetooth in my ear so I can be hands free, my mind does drift in the conversation: meaning, I actually visualize the face of the person I’m talking to, if they are at work, home, whatever their environment, and so on. It is not ideal, though I’ve not had any close calls. That said, the same kind of thing can happen simply listening to a radio or CD. A song reminds you of a time with friends or a concert or other event, and your mind is there, not on the road.

Despite all the buttons located on the steering wheel, looking at the radio dial or heater or AC or radar detector or GPS or rear view mirrors at traffic or kids, ALL take your mind off the road and put your brain processing at those other distractions. If you think about it, one can probably do all of the above simultaneously. Even talk radio shows get you riled up or thinking about how you would respond and engage you in the conversation.

I always thought Bluetooth was best so you can keep both hands on the wheel. Which is great, of course, but the conversation does make you drift, everyone here must admit that. If it doesn’t, you are lying to yourself. But, (and here’s my denial/justification/rationalization) I’ve never had a close call. I see the cars, the brake lights, intersections, etc. But I’m only kidding myself, I know. I’ve always said I trust me, my wife, my mom, etc., with our ‘smart’ driving, and that my biggest fear is OTHER people. I’m not so sure about that 100% of the time now.

Cell phones allow us to accomplish more in more places (hence, AT&T's campaign of More Bars in More Places): we can call people back while we are grocery shopping, working out, and yes, while driving.

As for Facebook, I always ignored it because I thought it was like MySpace (which it is on a certain level) and I didn't like MySpace. I had signed up a year ago but never went back. But a coworker talked about it and I decided to check it out and see how my friends used it. It wasn't at all what I thought it was, and as you begin to find friends and family on it, it became addictive at first, then a great way to see what your Friends are up to all at once. Like scanning headlines in a newspaper. You respond to those you want to. I have to give credit to my niece Britta for inviting me to be a part of Facebook in the first place.

I stay in touch with nephews and nieces easier than I would otherwise. It is practical.

It has been great to get in touch with good friends from college I was not in touch with up til now. I avoid the silly games and quizzes (sneaky market research for their advertising) but care about what people are up to, and let them know what I'm up to.

Linked In is similar but almost strictly a professional site. I see a great value in it during these economic times because it's a nice networking area.

So that's my response. Hopefully others will respond here and let the dialogue begin!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mark. This is not a bad idea to respond here, but if my kids don't look in, they are not going to get any encouragement to not use their cells while driving. I thought the research is that radios and CDs do not distract as much as actual conversations. Thanks, for the Facebook comments too.

Anonymous said...

guess I should have signed it Charles

Mark said...

There's a good chance they will look in, if they are good, mature, intelligent, young adults.

Seriously, I'm having serious thoughts about not using my phone at all while driving. I want the same for Kari, too, of course, but this is a difficult thing to convince ourselves to do. The convenience factor is too great.

Anonymous said...

I think talking on the cell while driving is ok, hands free is the best, no dif than listening to passengers or talk radio. My close calls are because I'm getting old.
Blogs I think are the way to go. I
think I'll have one soon.You can post articles or link stuff etc. and keep people up to date. Why not
put a link to your blog on fb?
I've been on fb for about a month, I like it but it i not addictive to
me. A qick glance to see whats up,
and then move on. Maybe chat a bit.
or leave a comment. I think if you have a lot of friends its more time consuming. So I'll see if I use it more or not, but I think this blog thing is the way to go.
Keith out.

Anonymous said...

well I don't have a blog and responded to the email in detail. One thing I forgot to mention is that I also listen to audio books all the time while driving. not a problem. Actual talking on the phone, not a problem for me either. What is a problem is when I dial or attempt to do something that requires me to look at the phone. DUMB until I can stop.

FB goes fast for me because I have so many darn friends who engage in those stupid games and quizzes. I wish there was a setting that said to delete those from ever hitting my home page. I just look for the status updates/comments, make mine and then I am done. Sometimes I will check out someone's profile for some reason or another. Thanks!
Marian